A science fiction novel by Daniel J. Lyons.
Severed was written while sheltering in place during the COVID-19 pandemic. It is both therapy for and a reaction to the author's experiences during the onset of the virus and explores how regular people react during a crisis:
After exhausting planet Earth, humanity has moved out to live "on the stars."
With your closest neighbor light-years away, the “on the stars” lifestyle guarantees a level of privacy unmatched in human history. But even ultimate privacy doesn’t need to come at a cost when modern technology can instantly whisk you back to civilization.
But when that modern technology unexpectedly fails, three private vessels find themselves completely unprepared for the isolation that follows. The three crews have very different strategies to cope with a radical change to the status quo.
Will they have the wherewithal to survive the weeks and months that it will take to get back to civilization?
- Rated 8.75 out of 10 - The Booklife Prize
10 out of 10 for originality
"The author demonstrates a high degree of creativity in detailing an elaborate universe where life exists on [the] stars. It's a unique and intriguing proposition."
10 out of 10 for character development/execution
"The author does a highly effective job with characterization, particularly through astute dialogue. The characters here are expressive, which provides the reader insight into how they think."
- Order through your local independent bookstore! (hardcover/paperback)
- Order online through the global Booklinker page
- Apple (ebook)
- Barnes & Noble
- Book Depository (UK hardcover/paperback)
- Books-a-Million (hardcover/paperback)
- Bookshop (order the hardcover or paperback online and help local bookstores!)
- Booktopia (AU ebook/hardcover/paperback)
- eBooks.com (ebook)
- Kobo (ebook)
- Walmart (hardcover/paperback)
- Waterstones (UK hardcover/paperback)
A self-published work distributed by IngramSpark.